Job title: Valway-Technician – Mechanical
Company: Milliken & Company
Job description: Headquartered in Spartanburg, South Carolina, Milliken & Company is a global, innovative, industrial diversified manufacturing company that has been exploring, discovering, and creating ways to enhance people’s lives since 1865. With expertise across a breadth of disciplines including specialty chemical, floor covering, and performance materials, the company works around the world every day to add true value to people’s lives, improve health and safety, and help make our world more sustainable. Milliken has long led the way for “knowledge-based” investment, employing over 100 PhDs, and has accumulated over 2,200 U.S. patents – and more than 5,000 patents worldwide. Milliken is widely acknowledged as an international leader in research technology, innovation, and customer service. With over 35 manufacturing facilities located in the U.S., U.K., Belgium, France, China, India, Mexico, and Australia, and other sales and service operations throughout the Americas, Europe and Asia, Milliken’s more than 7,000 associates work to deliver innovations that do good for the world, create new experiences, and build for the future.
Position reports to Engineering Manager. Normal working hours are Monday – Friday from 7:00 AM to 3:00 PM. Candidate must be available to work week ends, holidays, overtime as needed, and call-ins. Job duties include but are not limited to:
OBJECTIVE: To outline the job duties of the Mechanical Technician. The technician may report to the Engineering Services Engineer or the Engineering Services Manager. The job is a mechanical maintenance position responsible for keeping the equipment in the plant running or ready to run at all times. This is done by applying your technical, knowledge, and decision making. These skills are used in performing breakdown repairs, preventive and predictive maintenance, and root cause analysis. Typical hours are 7:00 AM to 3:00PM Monday thru Friday but may be changed due to the needs of the plant or the associates. The associate in this position must be available to work over, come in during off hours, weekends, or as otherwise needed. Although the work hours are usually uniform during the normal hours, breakdowns or other plant requirements may require the work hours to be flexible.
JOB DUTIES: * Must abide by all of the Milliken and Valway Plant Policies.
- Participate in plant and team meetings.
- Participate in the Safety program by participating in a Safety Subcommittee and other safety programs and activities. The associate must stay active and in compliance with the safety guidelines. Some of the safety rules include: lock out tag out, ladder, fall prevention, hand tool, power tool, PPE, & etc.
- Follow the plant environmental rules and understand environmental impacts and aspects of job related activities.
- Learn to identify of all plant alarms and know how to respond to all emergency alarms.
- Housekeeping and organization is a part of every job and associates are expected to keep work areas clean and organized.
- Read, comprehend, and complete required forms, check list, instructions, manuals, manufacture’s literature and etc as needed to preform jobs and communicate as needed.
- Be able to operate a lift truck, man-lift, aerial lift, or other equipment.
- Perform preventive maintenance and predictive maintenance skills and activities as needed.
- Be willing to undertake additional training in which the associate must attend and meet the minimum criteria.
- Be willing to take on additional duties or activities as assigned.
- Be willing to do what is needed to help and support other associates as needed and to build teamsmanship.
- Be experienced in using and cutting with a torch.
- Be experienced in stick and MIG welding.
- Knowledgeable of pneumatics and hydraulics systems.
- Knowledgeable of how to thread/tap pipe and machine threads
- Be experienced on using hand tools and power tools.
- Knowledgeable with shaft alignment.
- Be knowledgeable on how to safely change out pumps, motors, gearboxes, etc.
- Knowledgeable with maintenance of industrial power transmission components to Include: belts, sheaves, chains, sprockets, couplings, gearboxes, etc.
- Knowledgeable with demounting and mounting the various types of bearings.
- Must be able to climb ladders and enter tight spaces and high places.
- Knowledgeable of lubricants and lubrication technics. Performing lubrication as indicated in SAP.
- Must be self-motivated and willing to take initiative on projects with limited input from direct supervisor.
- Be knowledgeable on ordering parts/supplies and be able to checkout parts from the supply room.
- Be willing to cover another mechanical technician work order or PM responsibility in their absent.
- Be flexible in the work schedule to be available to work on equipment as needed. Must be able to be reached during off shift times and be willing to come to work during off shifts to correct problems with assigned equipment.
- Learn and understand the assigned equipment from all aspects; such as mechanical systems, principals and operation.
- Able to think on their own, reason through problems, make decisions as appropriate, follow procedures when applicable, and follow instructions / directions when given.
- Must possess and demonstrate strong abilities to read and learn from manuals and other documentation.
- Will need to accept responsibility and ownership of the assigned equipment / duties. This is shown by learning the equipment thoroughly, be proactive in recognizing and properly addressing problems, perform needed maintenance, recognize and bring to the attention of management needed changes in documentation, procedures and otherwise good operating and management practices.
- Be able and willing to share information and knowledge, educate, and getting other associates capable of performing these duties.
- Must be willing and capable of learning new skills and knowledge to perform the duties of this job as the job evolves with time, technology, and needs of the plant. The associate may be requested and/or required to take, and pass classes as needed.
- Must be willing to travel if requested for classes, to visit equipment manufacturers, or otherwise needed for the job.
- Will need to display good leadership skills and have good communication skills as well.
- Be able to troubleshoot breakdowns and abnormal machine operation.
- Must be willing to work with or lead contractors as needed.
- Must be willing to assisting Microprocessor Technicians and other Technicians when time allows or as assigned.
- Suggest improvements around the entire process
- Perform all other duties as specified by their manager and be able to perform other duties that are not specifically listed.
Milliken & Company is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with a disability.
Location: LaGrange, GA
Job date: Thu, 19 Nov 2020 08:06:08 GMT