Job title: Valway-Microprocessor Technician
Company: Milliken & Company
Job description: Headquartered in Spartanburg, South Carolina, Milliken & Company is a global, innovative, industrial diversified manufacturing company that has been exploring, discovering, and creating ways to enhance people’s lives since 1865. With expertise across a breadth of disciplines including specialty chemical, floor covering, and performance materials, the company works around the world every day to add true value to people’s lives, improve health and safety, and help make our world more sustainable. Milliken has long led the way for “knowledge-based” investment, employing over 100 PhDs, and has accumulated over 2,200 U.S. patents – and more than 5,000 patents worldwide. Milliken is widely acknowledged as an international leader in research technology, innovation, and customer service. With over 35 manufacturing facilities located in the U.S., U.K., Belgium, France, China, India, Mexico, and Australia, and other sales and service operations throughout the Americas, Europe and Asia, Milliken’s more than 7,000 associates work to deliver innovations that do good for the world, create new experiences, and build for the future.
The Microprocessor Technician reports to the Engineering Services Manager or an Engineering Services Engineer. Typical hours are 7:00 AM to 3:00 PM Monday – Friday but may be changed due to the needs of the plant or the associate. The associate is typically assigned ownership over a portion of plant equipment. The associate in this position must be available to work over, come in during off hours, weekends, or as otherwise needed. Although the work hours are usually uniform during the normal hours, breakdowns or other plant requirements may require the work hours to be flexible.
- Abide by all of the Milliken and Valway Plant policies.
- Participate in plant and team meetings, and actively participate in the plant safety process.
- Following Lock-Out / Tag-Out and all other safety procedures.
- Understand the environmental impacts and aspects of job-related activities. Follow established Valway and Milliken guidelines concerning use of all chemicals. Comply with all environmental regulations and Milliken environmental policies and rules.
- Learn operation of assigned equipment. Become subject expert for control systems of assigned equipment.
- Ordering and checking out parts/supplies, and monitoring spare parts for assigned equipment.
- Learn basic operation of plant utilities, wastewater, compressed air, emissions, and fire prevention systems.
- Learn how to identify and respond to all plant alarms.
- Provide troubleshooting coverage for the plant when needed.
- Use SAP to document work and complete work orders.
- When needed, assist shift Control Equipment Technicians with troubleshooting and repairing breakdowns on assigned equipment (or in another area if needed). This may require working over, assisting over the phone, or coming in during off hours.
- Perform scheduled calibrations on assigned equipment and maintain calibration records.
- Assist with performing electrical preventive maintenance when needed.
- Perform scheduled function checks and PLC program backups on assigned equipment.
- Identify opportunities for improved maintenance on assigned equipment.
- Have a lead role when there are projects on assigned equipment.
- Working with or leading contractors on assigned projects.
- Determine root causes and solutions for recurring problems on assigned equipment.
- Assisting other Microprocessor Technicians when time allows or as assigned.
- Instructing/training other Microprocessor Technicians, Control Equipment Technicians, Technicians, on assigned equipment.
- Following instructions from Engineering Services Manager and Engineering Services Engineer(s).
- Two-year degree in Industrial Electrical Controls or equivalent and five years of experience troubleshooting electrical control systems. Experience may be considered in place of a degree.
- Working knowledge of electrical and general industrial safety.
- Strong initiative and attention to detail – this position is expected to work independently.
- Strong troubleshooting and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to read and understand electrical drawings.
- Experience troubleshooting motor controls.
- Working knowledge of process controls and industrial pneumatics.
- Experience troubleshooting drives.
- Working knowledge of PLCs and HMIs.
- Computer skills – must be able to access and work with email, documents, spreadsheets, and work orders.
- Experience repairing electronic devices.
- Ability to be licensed for and operate a forklift, scissor lift, or boom lift as needed.
- Experience with startup and troubleshooting of drives in a continuous/web application.
- Experience troubleshooting and calibrating analog devices (4-20 mA, 0-10 VDC, or similar).
- Experience troubleshooting process control loops (preferably 24VDC).
- Experience with Allen-Bradley and/or Siemens PLCs
- Experience troubleshooting PLCs, including connecting and viewing the program to do advanced troubleshooting.
Milliken & Company is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with a disability.
Location: LaGrange, GA
Job date: Thu, 19 Nov 2020 08:52:19 GMT