Job title: Lead Embedded Software Engineer
Job description: Eaton’s Power Motion Controls division, a part of our Hydraulics group, is currently seeking a Lead Embedded Software Engineer to join our team. This position is based at our Eden Prairie, MN office.
The Lead Embedded Software Engineer will serve as a member of Eaton’s Software, Electronics and Controls (SwEC) group and supports the Hydraulics Group with embedded software for intelligent devices such as advanced industrial valves used in automation or advanced mobile valves and supervisory controllers for mobile applications used in forestry, construction, material handling or agriculture.
The Software, Electronics, and Controls Center of Excellence stands at the core of Eaton’s mission of making what matters work, with a strategy of delivering solutions aligned to the increasing demands of our customers for functional safety, increased productivity, high efficiency and clean energy. We are developing solutions that enable the IoT and Industry 4.0 platforms of the future.
This position requires an individual with experience in software development for real time embedded systems. The candidate must have previous experience in developing/negotiating verifiable system requirements with customers and the ability to drive those requirements down to a software architecture. S/he must be able to select and apply adequate software development models and testing methodologies and tools while following the Eaton formal product development process.
The position will require significant interface with product development engineers, verification & validation teams, product managers, program managers and other organizations to develop products that fulfill customer, manufacturing, service and regulatory requirements.
As a Software Lead the incumbent will provide leadership and knowledge to a global software development team during all phases of the product development from requirements gathering to product launch and field support. Project, time and risk management skills and a proven track record of multitasking and working with short delivery cycles are required. Consistent with the Eaton philosophy, the individual will be responsible for tracking quality measurements relating to software design and delivery and will use that knowledge to develop plans for continuous improvement.
Making what matters work at Eaton takes the passion of every employee around the world. We create an environment where creativity, invention and discovery become reality, each and every day. It’s where bold, bright professionals like you can reach your full potential—and where you can help us reach ours.
As described below, this position combines responsibilities for the following roles: system engineer/software architect; software lead; project manager. In this function you will:
System Engineer/Software Architect
- Evaluate and define requirements in cooperation with internal and external stakeholders.
- Collaborate with a multi-discipline team to define the requirements interfaces between hardware components, microcontrollers and software, and the operational performance requirements of the integrated system.
- Collaborate with controls engineers to define functional allocation and the interfaces between software and model based control algorithms.
- Develop the high level architecture through functional analysis and allocation of requirements, concept selection and development.
- Work closely with the software development and software verification & validation team to select the development and testing methodology and tools that meet the system and software requirements and comply to the enterprise and industry level processes and standards.
- Work closely with the software verification & validation team to develop software – hardware integration plans. Use PiL, MiL and HiL methods and tools as applicable for system validation and integration testing.
- Develop, deploy, and continually improve software processes and architectures, based on applicable standards and methodologies.
Software Lead / Technical Leadership
- Lead a medium size software team located in India in the design, implementation, testing and maintenance of embedded software.
- Own the project software development deliverables from conceptual design to production.
- Provide technical guidance and leadership to the development team during design, development, testing and validation of software.
- Lead technical reviews of software artifacts to support development process and ensure technical integrity of software deliverables
- Participate in end-product development activities by contributing ideas, concerns, risk analysis and mitigation as required.
- Participates in end-product design reviews associated with each product development phase including system level reviews and FMEA’s
- Participate in end-product team meetings to communicate software development status.
- Lead one or two large size projects or several small to medium sized projects by defining scope and dependencies, providing work estimates, and creating a plan/ schedule. Project team may include external partners and/or consultant organizations.
- Create software work break down structures for specific projects and assign to team members for development. Work closely with the development team to ensure that tasks are further decomposed, properly assigned, verified and closed.
- Conduct risk assessments on software development and create mitigation plans.
- Assist the organization with scoping, identification of project deliverables, and creation of project-specific documentation such as engineering management plans, configuration management plans, requirements management plans, etc.
- Manage multi-team projects that may include consultant services. Track and communicate software development status.
- Use agile methods to manage work item backlogs, monitor status, measure team velocity and defect rate and forecast schedule.
- Assist product development teams by preparing and presenting required information at business reviews
When we embrace the different ideas, perspectives and backgrounds that make each of us unique, we — as individuals and as a company — are stronger.
Required (Basic) Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering (i.e. Electrical, Computer, Software, Mechatronics) from an accredited institution
- Minimum three (3) years of experience with full life cycle development of embedded software.
- Must be able to work in the United States without corporate sponsorship now and within the future
- This position requires use of information or access to hardware which is subject to the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR). All applicants must be U.S. persons within the meaning of ITAR. ITAR defines a U.S. person as a U.S. Citizen, U.S. Permanent Resident (i.e. ‘Green Card Holder’), Political Asylee, or Refugee.
- No relocation benefit is being offered for this position. Only candidates within a 50-mile radius of Eden Prairie, MN will be considered. Active Duty Military Service member candidates are exempt from the geographical area limitation.
- Knowledge of Matlab/Simulink for algorithm definition and software engineering.
- Experience with auto-coding methodologies and technologies.
- Experience with Ethernet and wireless communications.
- Knowledge of data security and encryption methods.
- Knowledge of functional safety and development processes compliant to safety standards (ex. IEC 61508).
- Background in electro-hydraulics or industrial automation.
- Experience with various microcontrollers architectures, C programming language, and embedded software tools.
- Knowledge of CAN communications interfaces and tools.
- Experience using modeling software architecture in terms of components and interfaces with emphasis on code re-usability and maintainability.
- Experience with various software development methodologies and tools (agile, iterative, waterfall, etc.).
- Prior knowledge of processes and tools for requirements management, change and configuration management.
- Experience with software test methodologies and tools and development of test plans for embedded systems.
- Ability to integrate and validate performance of electro-mechanical systems.
- Excellent verbal and written communication in English with ability to clearly convey project status and timelines to senior leadership
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to make presentations and work in group settings.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision in a fast paced environment.
- Ability to work with geographically dispersed teams and a diverse cultural environment.
We are committed to ensuring equal employment opportunities for all job applicants and employees. Employment decisions are based upon job-related reasons regardless of an applicant’s race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, marital status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by law.
Location: Eden Prairie, MN
Job date: Sat, 21 Nov 2020 06:46:13 GMT