Job title: CA Certified Engineer-In-Training, Civil Engineering
Company: County of Sonoma
Job description: CA Certified Engineer-In-Training, Civil Engineering
Bring your CA certified Engineer-in-Training experience to the County of Sonoma.
Starting salary up to $51.24/hour ($106,944/year), a cash allowance of $200/month, and a competitive total compensation package!*
If you are interested in applying at the CA Licensed Civil Engineer level of this opportunity, you must apply to the separate recruitment being conducted for that level.
What We Offer
The County of Sonoma offers career growth and development, the opportunity to be a part of a challenging and rewarding work environment, and the satisfaction of knowing that you’re working to better the community. You can also look forward to a competitive total compensation package, including*:
- An annual Staff Development/Wellness Benefit allowance up to $950 and ongoing education/training opportunities
- Competitive vacation and sick leave accruals, 12 paid holidays, and an additional 8 floating holiday hours per year
- Significant portion of health care premiums paid by the County and access to several health plan options
- County contribution to a Health Reimbursement Arrangement to help fund post-retirement employee health insurance/benefits
- Retirement fully integrated with Social Security
- May be eligible for up to 8 weeks (320 hours) of Paid Parental Leave after 12 months of County employment
- Eligibility for a salary increase after 1,040 hours (6 months when working full-time) for good work performance
- With experience, passing the CA examination, and good work performance, this position offers the opportunity for career advancement to Civil Engineer, the CA licensed position
Join Permit Sonoma
Permit Sonoma is the County’s land use planning and development permitting agency. Virtually any land development or construction that takes place in the unincorporated area of Sonoma County (outside the city limits of the nine cities) is reviewed, permitted, and inspected by Permit Sonoma. Their civil engineers perform a wide variety of difficult professional engineering work, while working in the office and out in the field, and are a resource to Permit Sonoma staff and the public (Homeowners, Contractors, Designers, Architects, Engineers, etc.) for structural engineering related questions.
Currently, Permit Sonoma is recruiting for a civil engineer to join the Building Plan Check section of their Building division. The division is focused on protecting public health and safety by reviewing construction projects, inside and out, to make sure they are built according to the approved plans and California Building Code (CBC). Additionally, they:
- Coordinate the plan check process for new construction and alterations to existing buildings and structures for residential, commercial, and agricultural projects
- Conduct structural and architectural building plan check, review, and site evaluation
- Provide comments on plans, drawings, maps, reports, calculations, geotechnical reports, and other supporting documentation; and review and issue permits
- Interpret structural, life safety, and accessibility related code provisions to ensure consistent and proper application
- Coordinate and communicate with project stakeholders regarding building code and permitting requirements, status of permit applications, code compliance issues, structural design and construction methodologies, and bridge projects
- Visit sites to review structural designs and structures post-earthquake, fire, flood, tree-damage, etc.
The ideal candidate for the position will have experience directly related to these duties and is working to obtain their CA Civil Engineer license.
Note: This position requires certification as an Engineer-in-Training (EIT) issued by the State of California Board of Registration for Professional Engineers and Land Surveyors, and one year of engineer experience. To help ensure you effectively submit your application materials, please review the Minimum Qualifications; Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities; and Selection Procedure sections of this job announcement.
Permit Sonoma is currently recruiting to fill a full-time engineer position at either the CA Certified EIT, Civil Engineering or CA Licensed Civil Engineer level. The Civil Service title of this position is Assistant Engineer. This employment list may also be used to fill future full-time, part-time, or extra-help (temporary) positions as they occur during the active status of the list. County employees who wish to be considered for future positions should consider applying to this recruitment.
APPLICATION SUBMISSIONS REQUIRE THE SUPPLEMENTAL QUESTIONNAIRE BE COMPLETED.
Experience: One year of full-time, professional engineering experience at a level comparable to Junior Engineer.
License: Possession of a valid driver’s license may be required for various assignments. Possession of a valid certificate as Engineer-in-Training issued by the State of California Board of Registration for Professional Engineers and Land Surveyors.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Working knowledge of: the principles, practices and techniques of civil engineering, traffic engineering, electrical engineering, or mechanical engineering depending upon assignment; statistics and advance mathematics including algebra and analytic geometry; topographic and construction surveying, stress analysis, analytical mechanics and the strength, properties and uses of construction materials; common methods and equipment utilized in engineering construction and of inspection methods used in reviewing such work; real property descriptions; engineering design and drafting methods and equipment.
Knowledge of: the principles, practices and techniques of training.
Ability to: prepare designs and make accurate drawings and maps; make accurate mathematical calculations and neat and accurate field notes; apply principles of logic and scientific reasoning to develop and evaluate alternative courses of action and determine appropriate solutions; read, understand and interpret complex technical and legal documents, maps, technical drawings and plans; listen attentively and participate in negotiations by providing required data and information; adjust workload changes and work under stress to meet deadlines; develop and maintain effective working relationships with all levels of representatives from governmental and private agencies, construction and consultant contractors, coworkers and the public; write clearly and concisely in order to prepare technical reports, correspondence, and maintain records.
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Job date: Wed, 11 Nov 2020 08:35:24 GMT