Job title: Attorney, Civil I-III
Company: TULARE COUNTY HR & DEVELOPMENT
Job description: Attorney, Civil I-III
This is a continuous recruitment and can be closed at any time without notice.
One current vacancy with the County Counsel’s Office of Tulare County. This recruitment will be used to fill current and future vacancies within the office.
ABOUT THE OFFICE:
The County Counsel’s Office serves as the civil attorney for Tulare County government, the Tulare County Association of Governments, the Tulare Local Agency Formation Commission, the Public Guardian, and most of the local Memorial Districts and Public Cemetery Districts. The Legal Office includes 25 Attorneys, plus a complement of paralegals and support staff. The central office is located in the City of Visalia at the County Civic Center. A position with the County Counsel’s office provides a unique opportunity to study and practice a wide range of law in service to an established and stable client.
The County provides a benefit package including health insurance, vacation, sick benefits, 1937 Act Retirement plan, life insurance and reimbursement for California Bar Dues. Applicants may be granted advanced step appointments based upon experience.
ANNUAL SALARY RANGES: I: $65,539-$79,875 II: $74,566 – $90,877 III: $87,408 – $106,527
NEXT REVIEW OF APPLICATIONS: NOVEMBER 23, 2020
While the successful candidate may be able to work with or on any of the four legal teams at County Counsel, the current vacancy being filled will be on the Labor & Employment Team. The successful candidate will be expected to review contracts, advise clients on various employment law related matters, assist the Human Resources & Development Department in various labor law matters, represent the County in administrative hearings and writs, and provide legal guidance to the County’s Health & Human Services and Justice Departments and various public agency boards and committees. In addition, the candidate will work closely with the Risk Management division of County Counsel. Previous experience in a County Counsel’s Office is highly desirable.
Active membership in the State Bar of California is required. Possession of, or ability to obtain, a valid California driver’s license is required. Newly hired Attorneys will serve At-Will and hold noncompetitive status. The Attorney class is flexibly staffed to allow for promotional opportunities as professional experience is gained and demonstrated.
- ATTORNEY I: No experience required. Some experience demonstrating familiarity with the practice of public law is desirable.
- ATTORNEY II: Two years of full-time experience in the practice of civil law, preferably with one year of public civil law experience or one year of full-time experience with a public civil law agency.
- ATTORNEY III: Three years of full-time experience in the practice of public civil law; or two years of full-time experience with a public civil law agency.
PERSONS APPLYING ABOVE THE I LEVEL MUST HAVE EXPERIENCE IN LITIGATION
Conditions of Employment:
- Possession of, or ability to obtain, an appropriate, valid California driver’s license.
- Candidates selected will be required to pass a pre-employment drug and alcohol screening. Additionally, a background investigation may also be conducted, which may include a re-investigation every 10 years for some positions.
- An Employment Eligibility Verification using E-Verify may be required on the first day of employment for some positions.
- Some job classes may also require a physical exam.
College Cost Reduction Access Act: This may be a qualifying position for student loan forgiveness through the College Cost Reduction and Access Act (CCRAA). Only student loan payments made after October 1, 2007 and in a qualified repayment plan are eligible.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Location: Visalia, CA
Job date: Sun, 15 Nov 2020 08:16:44 GMT