Job title: Civil Engineer
Company: CITY OF BIRMINGHAM, AL
Job description: ATTENTION Merit System Employees: Do not apply through this site.
If you are a current Merit System employee, please click to log intothe internal career site.
Click for Salary Ranges
Work involves performing and directing difficult and complex engineering and analysis work by reviewing construction plans for compliance with building and zoning codes, regulations, and ordinances. Employees in this class work closely with a senior engineer until proficiency is achieved.
TYPICAL JOB DUTIES:
- Designs public infrastructure facilities, including drainage structures, sanitary sewers, roads, bridges, and culverts using accepted civil engineering practices, jurisdiction-specific standards and specifications, and nationally recognized engineering codes, standards, or regulations.
- Works closely with engineering consultants and external contractors on construction projects that were designed by engineering consultants.
- Directs and assists sub-professional engineering staff (e.g., Engineering Inspectors, etc.) in the field.
- Interacts with interested parties (e.g., developers, contractors, engineers, surveyors, governmental agencies) going through the jurisdiction’s permitting process.
- Reviews proposed construction plans to ensure they safeguard the health, safety, and welfare of the public; use accepted civil engineering practices; and comply with applicable codes, regulations and standards.
- Conducts engineering studies and prepares reports and recommendations based on the study’s results.
- Investigates and responds to complaints or inquiries made by the public to the department or public officials.
- Oral Communication & Comprehension.
- Written Communication & Comprehension.
- Mathematical & Statistical Skills.
- Problem Solving & Decision Making.
- Adaptability & Flexibility.
- Teamwork & Interpersonal.
- Self Management & Initiative.
- Reviewing, Inspecting & Auditing.
- Planning & Organizing.
- Professionalism & Integrity.
- Technical Skills.
Computer & Technology Operations.
- Driver’s License.
- Certified Engineer Intern/Engineer in Training, OR, must have recently passed the Fundamentals of Engineering Exam.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Civil Engineering or a closely related engineering field (e.g., Structural, Environmental, etc.).
DISCLAIMER: This job description is not meant to be an all-inclusive list of the job duties, responsibilities, or skills and abilities required to do the job and may be changed at the discretion of the Personnel Board at any time.
Persons requiring special conditions to accommodate a disability when completing the application should contact the Personnel Board at 205-279-3500 before the announcement closing date. Qualified applicants who believe they will need reasonable accommodation in the examination process should complete and submit an Accommodation Request Form. You may obtain an Accommodation Request Form by contacting our ADA Ombudsperson at [email protected], or by accessing the “Request for Accommodation” form through the following website:
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The Personnel Board of Jefferson County (Personnel Board) provides a public personnel system based on merit principles. The Personnel Board strives for the constant improvement of the public service by employing and developing the best qualified persons available. The Personnel Board provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, sex, creed, religion, political beliefs, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or genetics. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Employment decisions are made by the Merit System municipality or governmental agency in which the position exists. Each Merit System municipality, agency, or jurisdiction administers its own equal employment opportunity programs in compliance with applicable state and/or federal laws and regulations.
Location: Birmingham, AL
Job date: Sun, 08 Nov 2020 23:09:42 GMT