Job title: Chemist Intern (Part-Time Spring, Full-Time Summer)
Job description: About our group:
Seagate is seeking a high-energy, collaborative chemist for an intern position at our facility in Longmont, Colorado. This is an exciting opportunity to work with a global team located in the US and Asia. The function of this role is to study reaction kinetics and evaluate new and existing materials. The chemist will work with our Material Science Engineering and Advanced Product Development teams in collaboration with Seagate Research Group and external collaborators and suppliers to collect and validate data for thermo-chemical-mechanical modelling predictions. This role can start part-time during the spring semester and will become full-time in the summer.
About the role – you will:
- Perform laboratory testing to evaluate new materials for use in the disc drive.
- Conduct hands-on bench work to study kinetics parameters and reaction mechanisms
- Identify and/or quantify chemicals by various analytical chemical methods
- Characterize thermomechanical properties of compounds and materials by thermal analysis
- Identify and quantify the release of chemical substances from the device
- Work-up and analyze data sets with equipment specific software and statistical analysis software
- Assist with maintaining and calibrating laboratory instruments and equipment
- Prepare reports
- A passion for chemistry, science, problem-solving, and creativity
- Have an innovation mindset
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills
- A strong self-motivated work ethic and a keen interest in learning from others
- The ability to work in a team environment with a positive and friendly spirit
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to balance multiple demands and thrive in a collaborative and fast-paced environment
- Ability to learn how to write engineering reports and presentations
Your experience includes:
- Pursuing a Chemisty, Chemical Engineering degree, or related degree and enrolled in fall 2021 classes
- Wet chemistry experience (titration, liquid phase reactions)
- Knowledge of basic safety in a chemical laboratory
- Hands-on knowledge of Thermogravimetric Analysis (TGA), Differential Scanning Calorimetry (DSC), GC-MS, FTIR and Scanning Electron Microscopy (SEM)
- Deep knowledge of analytical chemistry
Our Longmont product-design campus is nestled against the foothills with exceptional views of the Rocky Mountains. Here at work, you can grab breakfast and lunch in the on-site cafeteria or get an afternoon espresso, prepared by a professional barista. Our 1,500+ employees enjoy an active on-site experience from sporting activities (get in a few laps at lunch on our 1-mile walking path around campus, play ping-pong or volleyball, or stop in our 24- hour fitness center for a group or individual workout) to community service and many employee resource groups including Pride!, Women’s Leadership Network and a Young Professionals Network.
Location: Longmont, United States
At Seagate, our mission is to give people peace of mind by protecting their digital lives.
Since 1978, Seagate has been creating precision-engineered data storage technologies that deliver superior capacity, speed, safety, and performance. We help people harness and maximize the datasphere.
Seagate couldn’t do any of that without its employees—a diverse workforce of 40,000 creative, hard-working, passionate people all over the world. From the Silicon Valley, the United Kingdom, Singapore, India, Thailand, through China, our people are proud to embody the values of integrity, innovation, and inclusion.
Consider joining them. Open up your world.
Seagate provides an environment where equal opportunity is available to all. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, ancestry, ethnic or national origin, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex (which includes pregnancy or perceived pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical conditions), gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, perceived or actual religious creed or political opinion, military and veteran status, taking or requesting statutorily protected leave, taking or requesting a reasonable accommodation for a protected basis, or other basis protected by applicable law. Company-sponsored training, education, degree assistance, and social and recreational programs are also included. , , & .
For information on how Seagate collects and uses your personal information during the application process, please review the applicant privacy statement.
Location: Longmont, CO
Job date: Tue, 10 Nov 2020 23:48:03 GMT