Job title: Traffic Signal Electronics Technician
Company: City of Hampton
Job description: Function
Performs skilled electronic and electrical work both in the electronic shop and in the field, including installing various type of traffic signal control equipment; inspects and repairs electronic micro processor components and subassemblies, following schematic diagrams and specifications and using hand tools and electronic testing instruments. Records inspection results and replacements made.
Examples of Work
- Checks all incoming gear visually and verifies proper operation, such as traffic signal controllers, school zone warning light time clocks, CCTV cameras, fiber-optic modems, as well as printed circuit boards and micro processor gear, for obvious problems or defects. Checks and corrects all cabinet wiring in new cabinets. Tests the performance of all gear received which requires assembling test panels with the required circuitry. Performs field changes of controllers; verifies that all signal field wires have been connected to the proper cabinet terminals.
- Cleans, calibrates, troubleshoots and performs scheduled mainten¬ance on electronic signal controller units. Checks cabinets for vents, leaks, drainage, door locks, door alignment, fan operation, air filter, inside lamps, and condition of wiring. Checks and repairs or resets all time clocks; checks vehicle detectors for proper operation, checks alignment of video and micro-wave detectors and checks paving conditions for in-road detectors. Checks and reports condition of lenses and alignment of all signal heads.
- Designs and wires control cabinets with limited aid of technical manuals and blueprints as required. Replaces transistors, capacitors, inductor coils, relay resistors wiring, semi conductor chips in traffic signal control equipment, detector amplifiers, conflict monitors and various other electronic equipment. Rebuilds traffic signal controller units and conflict monitors using electronic schematics and various other wiring diagrams. Rewires circuits in control cabinets to conform to individual local intersection requirements as the result of a Traffic Engineering Survey and Analysis.
- Programs traffic signal master and local controllers throughout the City of Hampton using timing developed by the Traffic Engineering staff. Assists in the maintenance of an adequate inventory of stock and repair parts for all signal equipment used by the City.
- Installs, troubleshoots, maintains and repairs the City traffic signal system’s fiber optic plant. Uses specialized equipment such as OTDR (optical time domain reflectometer), fusion splicer, etc.
- Marks City traffic signal facilities as required by “Miss Utility”.
- Sets up school schedules for reduced speed school zone signs, programs and maintains clocks.
- Performs other related duties as required.
Graduation from high school or successful completion of a GED. Associate’s degree in electronics or a related field of study is preferred. Requires a minimum of three (3) year of experience in the installation, maintenance and troubleshooting of electronic systems. A minimum of one (1) year of experience in traffic signal electronics work preferred;. Thorough knowledge of all electro mechanical solid state, microprocessors, and coordination equipment; ability to work under pressure, stay clam and make sound judgments; ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing; ability to establish and maintain harmonious working relationships with others; ability to perform physically demanding work and lift signal equipment weighing between 50 and 75 pounds. Must have a valid State of Virginia driver’s license and have a satisfactory driver’s record based on the City of Hampton’s criteria. Possession of a State of Virginia Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) or a Commercial Driver’s License instruction permit preferred. Any combination of experience and education may be considered in lieu of the more specific requirements outlined above. Any person under consideration for this position must successfully complete a Virginia
Criminal History Background Check.
Performs duties under the general supervision of the Traffic Operations Supervisor and/or Traffic Signal Team Leader, who assigns work and inspects assignments periodically. Duties may be performed in all types of weather conditions. Must be familiar with the operation of a variety of electrical and electronic equipment and machines such as the oscilloscope, ODTR, multi-meter, aerial bucket truck, concrete saw, cable lasher, and various hand power tools. Position requires incumbent to be subject to call-out on a regularly scheduled basis and must be accessible for contact via a designated home phone number, cell phone or an electronic pager, to enable him/her to respond to an emergency situation. This is a non-exempt position.
Location: Hampton, VA
Job date: Sat, 17 Oct 2020 23:40:31 GMT