Job title: Assistant/Associate Civil Engineer
Company: CITY OF HAYWARD, CA
Job description: Description
UPDATED: Next review scheduled for September 21, 2020; First round applicants need not apply; open until filled.
City of Hayward is excited to announce an opportunity to join its progressive and dynamic Engineering team as an Assistant or Associate Civil Engineer. This position performs journey level and professional engineering work in conjunction with Sepdesign, plan check, and construction, and maintenance of solar, water and wastewater projects.
Assistant Civil Engineer – This classification performs journey level professional engineering work in conjunction with construction and maintenance of Public Works projects.
Monthly rate: $7,646- $9,305
Associate Civil Engineer – This classification performs more difficult and complex engineering design work on private development and public works projects; and supervise the work of Assistant Civil Engineers and Engineering Technicians performing related work.
Monthly rate: $8,875 – $10,773
Incumbents may advance from the Assistant Civil Engineer to the Associate Civil Engineer level, as recommended by their supervisor and approved by the Director of Public Works, as they learn City and departmental practices and procedures. As knowledge and experience are gained, the work becomes broader in scope and assignments are more varied and are performed under more general supervision. Advancement to the higher classification requires gaining the knowledge, skill, experience and credentials that meet the qualifications for that class and demonstrating the ability to consistently perform the work of the higher classification.
Duties may include but are not limited to the following:
Assistant Civil Engineer
- Prepare and check engineering plans, cost estimates, designs and specifications for a variety of private development and Utility projects including wastewater treatment, sanitary sewers, storm drains, and water lines
- Perform engineering calculations
- Develop estimates of initial and long-term maintenance and operation costs for utility projects
- Provide engineering support for construction projects
- Coordinate with contractors, engineers and property owners
- Attend project meetings and engineering conferences
Associate Civil Engineer
- Perform higher level professional engineering work such as the design of large and complex projects, and plan check water and wastewater projects
- Manage the planning and design of water, wastewater, and recycled water projects
- Assign, supervise and review the work of professional and technical personnel
- Prepare environmental studies and facility planning documents
- Provide engineering services during construction of large and complex water, wastewater, and recycled water projects
A complete job description can be found at www.hayward-ca.gov .
ASSISTANT CIVIL ENGINEER
Any combination equivalent to the experience and education that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities would be qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
Experience: Two (2) years experience in engineering related to design and construction in public works or applicable field.
Education: Equivalent to graduation from college with a four year degree in Civil Engineering.
Licenses and Certificates: Ability to obtain a valid Class C California Drivers License upon appointment.
An Engineer-in-Training (E.I.T) Certificate issued by the California Board of Registration for Civil and Professional Engineers.
JOB RELATED AND ESSENTIAL QUALIFICATIONS
- Knowledge of basic civil engineering principles.
- Knowledge of basic street and utility design.
- Ability to collect, organize and interpret a variety of project-related information.
- Ability to perform civil engineering drafting.
- Ability to estimate project costs.
- Ability to research and interpret local, state and federal regulations.
- Ability to keep a project moving to completion and meet project deadlines.
- Ability to work independently.
- Oral communication skills to effectively communicate one to one and in groups, on the phone and in person.
- Interpersonal skills to initiate and maintain effective working relationships with staff, developers, and the public.
Essential duties require the following physical abilities and work environment: ability to sit, stand, walk, kneel, squat, climb and lift up to 30 pounds and to work outdoors or in a confined workspace.
ASSOCIATE CIVIL ENGINEER
Experience: Three (3) years of engineering experience related to design, land development and construction in public works or applicable field, with one (1) year of the experience being after acquiring the Professional Engineering License.
Education: Equivalent to a B.S. degree in Civil Engineering or closely related field.
Licenses and Certificates: Possession of a valid Class C California Driver’s license at time of appointment. Possession of a Certificate of Registration as a professional engineer in the State of California.
JOB RELATED AND ESSENTIAL QUALIFICATIONS
- Civil engineering principles and practices as applied to municipal civil engineering.
- Methods and materials, including methods of inspection and testing of materials used for public works projects.
- Principles of supervision and leadership.
- Prepare clear and concise plans.
- Prioritize public works projects and meet project deadlines.
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
One (1) YearSELECTION PROCEDURE
Candidates must submit a completed City of Hayward job application, the required licenses,and responses to the Supplemental Questionnaire, which fully describe the nature of their professional experience and qualifications. Be sure to scan and attach a copy of the required documents to your on-line application . Applications submitted without all required materials will not be considered.
Based on the information provided, those best qualified may be invited to the next phase of the process, which may include an oral, practical, and/or written examination.
The examination process will result in a ranked eligible register of candidates for hiring consideration by the department. Actual hire depends on success in the departmental selection process.
*Completion of this Supplemental Questionnaire is required for your application to be considered and is an integral part of the examination process. Writing ‘see resume’ or ‘N/A’ is not a sufficient response. The rating of the supplemental questions may determine application status and/or rank on the eligible list.
Candidates under final consideration for employment with the City should expect to undergo an employmentbackground/referencecheck that mayinclude,but is not limited to: employment history, confirmation of educational credentials and degrees, licenses including driver’s license, registrations, certificates, and other credentials as part of the appointment process. Some positions, depending on the nature of the work, also require a credit check and a review of Summary Criminal History obtained from the State Department of Justice through Live Scan Fingerprinting.
Applicants will be notified electronically via Government Jobs as to their status in the selection process. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure they can receiveemailnoticefromNeogov/Government Jobsand the City of Hayward.
Candidates are encouraged to apply online at www.hayward-ca.gov under the Current Vacancies tab or at www.NeoGov.com. Paper applications can be obtained by contacting HR at: [email protected] Office hours are Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Apply prior to the closing time of the job announcement and allow atleastone (1)hour to submit your application if you are a new user to the system. Our on-line application system is provided byGovernment Jobs. If you have problems while applying online, please contact the Government Jobs Help Desk at (877) 204-4442.
The City of Hayward is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Expected salary: $106496 – 129272 per year
Location: Hayward, CA
Job date: Wed, 07 Oct 2020 22:47:18 GMT